Polk Audio VS 80F/X-LS High Performance 8″ In-Ceiling Loudspeakers – Pair
The Polk Audio VS 80F/X-LS is Priced And Sold As A Pair.
With the Polk Audio VS 80F/X-LS never sacrifice professional audiophile features and performance when you can have it all, even on a budget. Award-winning technologies and high quality materials come together with purpose-designed engineering in the Vanishing F/X-LS line of “invisible” in-ceiling surround-channel speakers. Customized audio controls giv e previously taken by speakers to add seating or wall treatments!
The Vanishing Series Polk Audio VS 80F/X-LS in-ceiling loudspeakers feature a precision-engineered, minimally flanged design and Polk’s exclusive Sheer-Grille, which protrudes only 7mm from its surroundings. Installing virtually flush in your ceiling, the Polk Audio Vanishing Series in-ceiling loudspeakers offer a one-cut, drop-in installation and rotating cam stabilizing system. The Vanishing LS series in-ceiling speakers are timbre-matched to Polk Audio’s flagship LSi and LSiM series loudspeakers for seamless blending from speaker to speaker when you’re building a speaker system.
Vanishing Series In-ceiling Speakers: The Polk Audio Vanishing Series in-ceiling loudspeakers feature a precision-engineered, minimally flanged design and Polk’s exclusive Sheer-Grille, which protrudes only 7mm from its surroundings. Installing virtually flush in your ceiling, the Polk Audio Vanishing Series in-ceiling loudspeakers offer a one-cut, drop-in installation and rotating cam stabilizing system. The Vanishing LS series in-ceiling speakers are timbre-matched to Polk Audio’s flagship LSi and LSiM series loudspeakers for seamless blending from speaker to speaker when you’re building a speaker system.
Note: There are two 80F/X-LS speakers in this package, one for the left surround channel and the other for the right surround channel.
8″ Woofer: These Polk Audio Vanishing Series 80F/X-LS in-ceiling surround loudspeakers employ an angled 8″ Dynamic Balance aerated polypropylene cone woofer, with rubber surround, for a smooth, consistent frequency response. The aerated polypropylene cone is 20% lighter than conventional polypropylene, and 35% lighter than aluminum, to give you clear midrange, punchy bass, and high efficiency. Polk Audio’s patented Dynamic Balance technology eliminates unwanted resonances.
Dual Ring Radiator Tweeters: The 80F/X-LS employs two 3/4″ Dynamic Balance ring radiator tweeters for detailed highs and superb imaging. The tweeters are angled so that they are firing away from each other for a more diffuse sound field.
Imaging Control: The 80F/X-LS surround loudspeakers offer switchable imaging patterns to create the surround effect you desire. The control, labeled “Imaging”, is located near the inner rim of the speaker basket. If you desire a “cloud” of sound, or a less localized sound, you should select the “Diffuse” position on the switch. For a more pin-point, localized sound, you should choose the “Solid” position on the switch.
Wall Distance Toggle Switch: If you mount your in-ceiling loudspeakers closer than 2 feet from a side wall, the proximity of the surface can elevate the midbass response between 50 and 200Hz, causing a boomy sound. To compensate, the 80F/X-LS is equipped with the Vanishing Wall Distance Toggle switch, located on the front panel. The filter adjusts the crossover to flatten the response, and tune out the boominess, without sacrificing the deep bass response of the speaker. The switch is labeled “Wall Dist.” with two positions: “<2′ (60cm)” and “>2′ (60cm).”
Frequency Response: The overall frequency response of the in-ceiling loudspeaker is 30Hz to 33kHz, and the -3dB frequency response is 45 to 29kHz.
Sheer-Grille: The 80F/X-LS features Polk Audio’s exclusive wafer-thin Sheer-Grille, a magnetically-secured metal grille that protrudes only 7mm from its surroundings. The Sheer-Grille can be painted to match your décor, making it virtually indistinguishable from its surroundings. The Sheer-Grille has nearly transparent, ultra-small perforations, and is acoustically inert, for dynamic, unimpeded sound and more uniform coverage, even in larger rooms. The grille diameter is 11-1/8″.
Gold-Plated Spring-Loaded Posts: The in-ceiling loudspeaker has a gold-plated pair of spring-loaded binding posts that can accept up to 12-gauge wire, single- or dual-banana plugs, or pin connectors.
Applications: The Polk Audio Vanishing Series 80F/X-LS in-ceiling loudspeakers are designed to be used as surround speakers in a 5.1- or 7.1-channel home theater configuration. They can be matched to a Vanishing LS Series (two 265-LS and one 255c-LS), or traditional LSi or LSiM front stage. It is recommended that the speakers be mounted in the ceiling directly behind, or straight out to the sides of the listening area. The position of the Diffuse/Solid Imaging switch depends upon the speaker placement.
Note: The speaker isn’t recommended for installation in high-moisture locations.
Left/Right Orientation: The 80F/X-LS loudspeakers have a left/right orientation. Each speaker is clearly marked near the Imaging and Wall Dist. toggle switches, and on the serial number label on the speaker magnet. Left and right are defined from the listening area as you face the system’s center channel. The speakers have angled drivers, so you should also consider the rotational orientation of the speaker when mounting.
Rotating Cam System: The Polk Audio in-ceiling loudspeakers utilize a rotating cam system to ensure a secure, vibration-free installation. Each 80F/X-LS has 4 rotating cams to hold the speaker in place. The cams can be tightened from the front panel with a Phillips-head screwdriver.
Installation: The 80F/X-LS can be installed in new or existing construction:
- Existing Construction: In existing walls, use the included cardboard template for one-cut, drop-in simplicity. Achieve secure, vibration-free efficiency with a simple turn of Polk’s Rotating Cam system (4 rotating cams).
- New Construction: The optional PB LC80 pre-construction brackets should be used for new-build or open-wall retro-fitting.
|Overall Dimensions (with grille)||Diameter = 11-1/8″
|Cutout Dimensions||Diameter = 9-3/8″|
|Mounting Depth (behind 1/2″ drywall)||Depth = 4-11/16″|
- Use the customized imaging toggle to easily optimize surround effects in any room setup; choose the “Solid” setting for more localized effects, and the “Diffuse” setting for greater rear channel ambience.
- Vanishing Series Polk Audio VS 80F/X-LS “B-Stock” built-in speakers feature our exclusive wafer-thin Sheer-Grille, a magnetically-secured grille that protrudes only 7mm from its surroundings. Sheer-Grilles have nearly transparent, ultra-small perfs, and are acoustically inert, for dynamic, unimpeded sound and more uniform coverage, even in larger rooms.
- Painted to match your décor, Vanishing Series Polk Audio VS 80F/X-LS “B-Stock” built-in speakers are virtually indistinguishable from their surroundings.
- Dual offset ring radiator tweeters extend top-end response for incredible details and realistic imaging.
- Vanishing Series and Polk Audio VS 80F/X-LS “B-Stock” LS speakers are timbre-matched to Polk LSi speakers to insure utterly seamless blending from speaker to speaker in systems that combine traditional and built-in speakers.
- Dual bandpass bass ports are highly efficient in small enclosures, and smoothly funnels the angled woofer’s low frequencies down around the driver array, eliminating “chuffing,” so your small, practically invisible in-ceiling speakers achieve superior full-range blending and broad coverage with surprisingly deep bass.
- Easy one-cut, drop-in installation puts built-in audio within reach, with Perfect Fit templates, a precision flange, and (available) pre-construction brackets; achieve secure, vibration-free efficiency with a simple turn of the patented Rotating Cam system.